A pocket-size new book packs a lot of important information about the Pine Tree State into its pages.
By Nancy Griffin
Photograph by ©Istockphoto.com/sebatl
It comes as no surprise to Mainers that there is a genuine soft spot for the state throughout the country. It may have something to do with the old values and courtesies that seem to be disappearing from an increasingly urban America. It also has something to do with Mainers’ resilience in the face of tough economic conditions and sometimes furious weather. Whatever it is, it is immediately recognizable, and it is an identity like no other.
As we will see, Maine is rural and urban, rich and poor, a playground for the wealthy, and sometimes struggling with visions for itself in the future. Maine is like interesting places everywhere; a product of contradictions, and it was our duty and pleasure to include as many of them as we could, drawing what we hope is a multi-faceted portrait revealed in tiny increments, one fact or story at a time.
Excerpted from Maine 101; MacIntyre Purcell Publishing, Inc., Lunenburg, Nova Scotia; paperback; 252 pages; $14.95.
Maine: A Timeline
21,000 years before present: The Laurentide ice sheet begins retreating from the Gulf of Maine and southern New England, cutting a formerly straight coastline into the jagged array of bays, inlets, and harbors, and forming the 4,613 islands off the coast of Maine.
15,000 years before present: Glacial landforms still evident in Maine, especially Down East, are created by the glacier’s retreat.
13,000 to 11,500 years before present: Paleo-Indians, nomadic “Red Paint” people who used fluted points to hunt big game, settle in Maine.
1000 AD: Norse sailors, led by Leif Erikson, arrive in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Although a Norse coin was found in Maine, and some believe the Vikings arrived here, others believe the coin was taken in trade.
l524: Giovanni da Verrazano, an Italian explorer sailing for France, is identified as the first European to explore the coast of Maine.
1604: The first recorded European colony is established at the mouth of the St. Croix River in eastern Maine by a French group led by Pierre du Gau (or Guast) Sieur de Monts. A Huguenot nobleman, de Monts explored the New England coast with Samuel Champlain and helped him found Montreal.
1607: The first British colony, called Fort Saint George (also known as the Popham Colony), is established but fails to survive the first frigid winter. The town is now called Phippsburg.
l616–1619: Over 75 percent of Maine’s Natives succumb to European diseases in “the Great Dying.”
1622: The area is first called Maine by Sir Ferdinando Gorges, who along with John Mason is granted rights to lands that are now the states of Maine and New Hampshire. Although Gorges never set foot in the New World, his son, Robert, became Governor-General of New England from 1623 to 1624.
1634: Berwick becomes host to one of America’s earliest sawmills, on the Piscataqua River.
1640s: Maine is already shipping house frames and barrel staves to the Caribbean.
1652: Maine is annexed by Massachusetts because officials consider it a strategic first line of defense against the French and Indians.
1675–1763: Maine suffers several attacks by French and Indian forces during this period that starts with King Philip’s War and ends with France giving up all its New Wor1d holdings to the English when the Seven Years War concludes.
1707: The John McIntire house is built in York; it remains one of the oldest still-standing structures today.
1735: A small papermill is built on the Presumpscot River near what is now Portland.
1740: Maine’s European-descended population hits the 12,000 mark.
1755: The Acadians are deported from Canadian Atlantic coastal communities to Maine and other New England locations because of their supposed loyalty to France.
1775: On June 12, the first naval battle of the American Revolution is fought off the coast of Machias. Called “The Lexington of the Seas,” the battle saw the Margaretta captured and the British flag “struck” for the first time in the Americas.
1775: Benedict Arnold, one of the American Revolution’s finest generals, leads a band of revolutionaries through Maine but fails to capture British holdings in Quebec City and Montreal. Later Arnold is branded a traitor.
1783: Massachusetts, which includes Maine, abolishes slavery.
1785: Maine’s first newspaper begins. The Falmouth Gazette and Weekly Advertiser is used to promote separation from Massachusetts.
1794: Bowdoin College becomes Maine’s first post-secondary institution.
1800: A York novelist, Sally Wood, writes Julia and the Illuminated Baron, Maine’s first novel on record.
1800: Maine’s population reaches 150,000.
1800: The U.S. government’s oldest continuously-running naval shipyard opens at Kittery. The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard launches its first ship in 1815.
1820: Maine separates from Massachusetts and becomes a state on its own, following the Missouri Compromise.
182: Maine’s state capital moves from Portland to Augusta.
1836: John Ruggles of Thomaston, Maine, is issued Patent #1 by the U.S. Patent Office for his “Locomotive Steam Engine for Rail and Other Roads.” A lawyer elected to Congress in 1835, he helped reorganize the office and earned the title “Father of the Patent Office.”
1839: Governor Fairfield makes Maine the first and only state ever to declare war on a foreign power when he declares war on England over a boundary dispute between New Brunswick and northern Maine. No blood was shed, however, and the dispute was settled peacefully.
1842: The Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842, signed by U.S. Secretary of State Daniel Webster and U.K. Privy Counselor Alexander Baring, settles the Maine/New Brunswick border when both territories agree to compromise.
1851: Harriet Beecher Stowe starts writing her legendary novel, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, in Brunswick, inspiring those who would abolish slavery before the Civil War. An instant bestseller and translated into twenty-three languages, it is considered the most famous antislavery book. The Harriet Beecher Stowe House at 63 Federal Street, Brunswick, is a National Historic Landmark owned by Bowdoin College but is not open to the public.
1851: The so-called Maine Law is passed making Maine the first state in the union to ban the manufacture and sale of alcohol. Portland rum riots ensue.
1853: The Grand Trunk Railway is built to connect Maine with the St. Lawrence River in Montreal and the Canadian Maritimes. Portland is the winter port for Canadian trade.
1856: Maine Law is repealed.
1860: Hannibal Hamlin, a native of Paris, Maine, becomes Abraham Lincoln’s vice president. The first Republican party vice president, he first served in the U.S. Senate, the House of Representatives, two terms in the Maine legislature, and briefly as Maine governor.
1863: Brunswick native Joshua Chamberlain successfully defends Little Round Top against confederate troops at the Battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War. Chamberlain’s actions arguably served as the turning point of that battle.
1866: Fire destroys much of downtown Portland in the district now called the Old Port. Only two people die, but 1,800 buildings are reduced to ashes and 10,000 people are left homeless.
1888: Melville W. Fuller, a native of Augusta, Maine, and a Bowdoin College graduate, becomes the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
1920s: South Paris enjoys a national reputation as “Toy Town,” the country’s largest concentration of producers of toys, including wooden sleds.
1931: Governor Percival Baxter, a native of Portland, Maine, begins buying land in northern Maine for the purpose of establishing a game reserve. Over the next thirty years, Baxter purchases more than ninety thousand acres. This land is generously donated toward the establishment of Baxter State Park.
1936: Maine experiences disastrous spring flooding, resulting in $25 million in damages.
1947: Maine’s most devastating forest fire destroys some two hundred thousand acres. More than ten thousand acres of this are in Acadia National Park. 851 homes and 397 cottages are lost.
1948: Skowhegan native and former Republican Congresswoman Margaret Chase Smith is elected to the U.S. Senate, making her the first woman ever to be voted into this office, the first woman to be elected to both houses of Congress, and the first Maine woman to serve in either House. She was also the first person to stand up to Senator Joseph McCarthy and his anti-Communist witch-hunt on the floor of the Senate. Her record still holds as the longest-serving woman in the Senate.
1955: The Maine Turnpike reaches Augusta.
1968: The University of Maine system is established, creating public post-secondary institutions in various parts of the state.
1974: James Longley is elected the first Independent governor of Maine, as well as the first Independent governor in the modern history of the two-party system in the United States.
1976: The last log drive in the U.S. is held on the Kennebec River.
1979: Following a failed bid for the presidency, Rumford native and Democrat Senator Edmund Muskie replaces Cyrus Vance as President Jimmy Carter’s Secretary of State.
1980: President Carter signs the Indian Land Claims agreement which ends disputed claims over the legality of treaties signed two centuries earlier, when Indians in Maine gave land to Massachusetts, and later Maine. The settlement gave the Penobscot Nation, the Passamaquoddy Tribe, and the Houlton Band of Maliseets $54.5 million to buy land that would be held in trust by the federal government.
1982: Ten-year-old schoolgirl Samantha Smith, of Manchester, Maine, writes to newly elected Soviet leader Yuri Andropov, asking if he plans to try to avoid nuclear war. He writes back, saying he wants to avoid war, and she becomes a media darling. A year later, she flies to the USSR with her parents to spend two weeks as a guest of the government. After the trip, she is called “America’s Youngest Ambassador.” She and her father are killed in a plane crash in Auburn, August 1985, and a foundation focusing on world peace is established in her name.
1984: Freeport native Joan Benoit Samuelson wins the gold medal in the first women’s Olympic marathon event at the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles, California.
1988: Waterville native Senator George J. Mitchell is elected U.S. Senate Majority Leader. He won the Democratic nomination for governor in 1974 but was defeated in the general election by Independent James Longley.
1990: Great Northern Paper Company is acquired by the Georgia-Pacific Corporation.
1994: Brunswick resident Angus King is elected governor, becoming only the second popularly elected Independent governor in the state and U.S.
1997: Bangor native Senator William Cohen is sworn in as President Clinton’s Secretary of Defense.
1998: Maine’s worst natural disaster, the Ice Storm of ’98, hits the state in the first week in January.
1998: Former Senator George Mitchell, appointed in 1995 as special envoy to Northern Ireland, is credited with negotiating the Belfast Agreement, signed on Good Friday.
2000: Maine introduces a law banning all racist or derogatory town names.
2002: John E. Baldacci is elected Governor of Maine and reelected four years later.
2003: Great Northern Paper Company, which once produced more than one-third of all U.S. newsprint output, declares bankruptcy after its modernization efforts fail in weak product markets.
2007: Following a year-long investigation, a panel headed by George Mitchell issues a 409-page report detailing steroid use by eighty-nine players in U.S. major league baseball.
2009: President Barack Obama appoints George Mitchell as Special Envoy to the Middle East on January 22.
2009: Maine becomes the fifth state to legalize same-sex marriage.
Many of Maine’s place names derive from the original names given to them by Native Americans, although the influence of French, English, and Irish settlers is obvious. There are some biblical names and a host of post-Revolutionary names, and a grouping of names that are dupes of those in Massachusetts that were named by settlers from those Massachusetts towns.
Some are fun to say, like Mooselookmeguntic. Others look simple, but are usually pronounced incorrectly by outsiders, for instance Bangor and Saco. You can travel the world from China to Norway, and stay in Maine. Or you can seek Liberty, enjoy Freedom, or hunt up a Ghost on a Landing.
Acadia: A Mi’kmaq term meaning “the earth/land,” as in Acadia National Park. Originally named Sieur de Monts National Monument to honor the first explorer in 1604, Samuel Champlain, and the French Jesuits who worked with the natives at Iles des Mont Desert until the English destroyed the mission. The 47,000-acre park was renamed in 1929.
Allagash River (and town): An Abenaki term meaning “bark shelter.” The Allagash Wilderness Waterway is a ninety-two-mile stretch of unspoiled scenery in Aroostook County popular with canoers and rafters. The town of Allagash is an Irish-Scotch enclave in the mainly French St. John Valley.
Androscoggin River: An Abenaki term meaning “place where fish are dried/cured.” Still a popular fishing place, the Androscoggin drops an average of eight feet per mile along its 178-mile course so it’s always been important for manufacturing. Its flow powered sawmills, paper mills, and textile mills, which also meant it became severely polluted and helped instigate the Clean Water Act. Much cleaner now, a fourteen-mile stretch of the river still requires oxygen bubblers to keep fish alive.
Annabessacook: A lake in Monmouth whose name means “smooth water at outlet.”
Aroostook: A Mi’kmaq term meaning “beautiful river.” The name of the state’s largest — bigger than Connecticut and Delaware combined — and northernmost county is called simply “the County” by its residents. An inland farming region, Aroostook is best know for its potato farms.
Augusta: Maine’s capital city was first explored by English settlers in 1607 by the short-lived Popham Colony, and later settled by the Plymouth Colony in the late 1620s. It was designated as the state capital in 1827.
Bailey’s Mistake: This small village in the Down East town of Cutler can trace its name back to the poor navigation of a young sea captain. One night back in 1830, Captain Bailey was piloting a four-masted schooner, packed with cargo bound for Lubec, up the coast from Boston. The fog was thick, as it often is in those parts. Young Bailey mistook a dead end cover for the Lubec Narrows, which leads to that town’s port. The ship grounded on what is now called Bailey’s Ledge, where it remained until morning. Legend has it that the captain and crew were reluctant to return to Boston and confess their mistake to their bosses. Instead, they decided to unload the lumber they had been transporting and build homes on the spot, creating the village that is now knows as Bailey’s Mistake.
Benedicta: Bishop Benedict Fenwick, second Bishop of Boston, acquired the property deep in Aroostook County in 1834, planning to build a Catholic school. He wanted to populate the area first to have a community around the college, so he gave land to poor Irish immigrants arriving in Boston who promised to homestead. The Irish moved there, built St. Benedict’s Catholic Church, took up farming, but Fenwick ended up establishing Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts. Benedicta was deorganized as a town in 1987 and is now governed as an unorganized territory with 225 residents.
Cadillac Mountain: Plenty of General Motors’ Cadillac automobiles have made the drive to the 1,532-foot summit of Cadillac Mountain, the first location in the United States to see the sun each morning. Both car and peak are named for French explorer Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, Sieur de Cadillac. The French Crown granted the explorer much of Mount Desert Island in 1681. La Mothe later founded a colony in what was to become Detroit, home of the American automobile industry, including GM.
Calais: Named for the French city but pronounced CAHL-us by Mainers, rather than Cal-AY.
Calendar Islands: The Chief Engineer for the British crown who surveyed Casco Bay in 1700 wrote that the bay had “as many islands as there are days in the year.” In fact, there are 138 islands in the bay, give or take a few, not counting ledges that are often underwater. Nonetheless, Colonel W. Romer’s assertion gave a nickname to the bay that stretches from Portland to Phippsburg. The bay’s official name comes courtesy of Spanish explorer Estevan Gomez who noticed in 1525 that the bay is shaped like a helmet, or in Spanish, uno casco.
Cathance: The name means “the principal branch of a river.” Pronounced cat-hance, it refers to a river flowing through Topsham and Bowdoinham to Merrymeeting Bay, and to a stream in Dennysville.
Chebeague Island: An Abenaki term meaning “separated place.” Pronounced Sheh-BEEg. In Casco Bay, Chebeague has a year-round population.
Chemquasabamticook Lake: An Abenaki term meaning “where there is a large lake and a river.”
Cobscook Bay: A Maliseet term meaning “rocks under water.”
Cobbosseecontee Lake: An Abenaki term meaning “many sturgeon.” Specifically, it was the place on the Kennebec River where the Indians fished for sturgeon. The nearby lake and stream may have been named for this area in the river.
Crotch Island: The smooth-grained granite quarried from the Maine coast has gone into monuments, capital buildings and other landmarks all over the east. Today the once-thriving quarries are mostly closed, but a few, including one on Crotch Island off the coast of Deer Isle, continue to operate. Crotch Island gets its name from the enormous trench that quarries have carved out of its side over the years.
Damariscotta: An Abenaki term meaning “many alewives” pronounced Dam-UR-scotta by Mainers and regularly mispronounced by visitors and TV reporters.
Desert of Maine: Yes, there is a desert in Maine — or at least something that looks like one. The phenomenon can be traced back to the last ice age, when glaciers dropped massive deposits of sand across interior Maine. At this site, in Freeport, the shallow topsoil was eroded away, leaving a vast field of sand that has become a rather odd tourist destination.
Eggemoggin Reach: The eastern channel of Penobscot Bay. The name means “fish weir place.”
Ghost Landing Bar: A spot in Allagash, Aroostook County, named for a logger killed by a falling pine. The core was rotten so it was left on shore. People claim his ghost asks passersby to roll the log into the water.
Grindstone: A place where river drivers sharpened their axes, an unincorporated settlement in Penobscot County, not surprisingly settled by people involved in the forest products industry.
Hell’s Half Acre: This island is a bit larger than a half acre and its cobble beaches and panoramic views are far too pleasant to be associated with hell — but it is just south of Devil Island. No one knows for sure how either island got their names.
Junk of Pork Island: This island consists of nothing more than a rock formation sticking out of the water on the perimeter of Casco Bay. Some folks think it looks like a slab of pork. It also happens to be the only place in Maine where storm petrels come ashore to nest.
Katahdin: An Abenaki term meaning “the principal mountain.” Maine’s tallest mountain, Mount Katahdin, is located in Baxter State Park.
Malaga: “Cedar.” Two Malaga Islands are associated with Maine; one in Phippsburg, one at the Isles of Shoals. The one off Phippsburg represents a shameful event in Maine history. In 1847, Malaga was settled by a freed slave who had saved his owner’s life. His family was joined by others, constituting a mixed race of Irish, Scottish, Portuguese, and African-Americans. Mainlanders called the Malagaite residents an “eyesore” and a “maroon” society. In 1911, the governor forced residents off the island. Seven were committed to the Maine School for the Feeble Minded. Malaga was one of 274 Maine communities with a tiny number of black citizens.
Mars Hill: Mars Hill is a town in Aroostook County with a population of about 1,500 people. A British Army Chaplain held a service on a nearby mountain in 1790, and named the peak Mars Hill after a hill in Athens, where the apostle Paul was said to have taught the Athenians of his God. The town was later named after the mountain, which is now scattered with energy-producing wind turbines.
Massacre Pond: On a fall afternoon in 1703, Captain Richard Hunnewell of the British Army and twenty of his men wandered to this pond along the sandy shores of what is now Scarborough Beach. A party of more than a hundred Indians ambushed the unarmed men, slaughtering Hunnewell and eighteen others.
Matinicus Island: An Abenaki term meaning “far-out island.” The year-round population of Matinicus in Penobscot Bay relies mostly on lobstering.
McGargle Rocks: This area was named for a river driver who was killed trying to clear a logjam. It is about a half-mile below Big Brook campsites in Aroostook County, and the peak of the summit is 712 feet.
Meddybemps: One of several place names that translates “plenty of alewives.” And it’s cute and fun to say.
Mistake Island: The Maine coast abounds with places whose names serve as a warning to boaters. This is one of them. Mist enshrouds this island off the coast of Jonesport some 20 percent of the year, making it the foggiest place on the East Coast of the United States. President John Quincy Adams authorized the construction of the fifty-seven-foot Moose Peak Lighthouse on the island in 1825 to cut down on mistakes of the fatal sort.
Monhegan Island: A Mi’kmaq or Maliseet term meaning “out-to-sea island.” Another island with a tiny year-round population dependent on lobstering, and a major tourist attraction in the summer. Reachable by ferry, but no cars allowed.
Mooselookmeguntic Lake: An Abenaki term meaning “moose feeding place.” Another theory says the meaning is “smooth when choppy seas,” for an area of the lake by the same name which is smooth during windy conditions. Who cares what it means? It’s a great word.
Mount Desert Island: The bald granite slopes of the mountains on Maine’s largest island inspired French explorer Samuel de Champlain to name the place Isles des Monts Desert, or “island of barren mountains,” when he first sailed past it in 1604. The pronunciation has lost some, but not all, of its French flavor over the years. These days the name often comes out as “Mount Dessert Island,” as if the mountains were topped with whipped cream. However the name is pronounced, the island is the state’s most popular tourist destination, serving as home to Acadia National Park and the summer haunt of celebrities such as Martha Stewart, David Rockefeller, and the late Casper Weinberger.
Mount Mica: This mountain in the town of Paris has some of the state’s richest deposits of precious and semi-precious stones, including garnet, tourmaline, amethyst, quartz — and the largest beryls ever found.
Muscongus Bay: An Abenaki term meaning “many large rock ledges.”
Naskeag: An Abenaki term meaning “the end, the extremity.” As in Naskeag Point in Brooklin marking the eastern boundary of Penobscot Bay. It’s so nice when place names make sense. Of course, only if you speak Abenaki.
Old Maid Rock: A pillar in Oxbow, Aroostook County, with an elevation of 693 feet about sea level. Legend says the spirit of a young woman has been seen there wearing a blood-spattered wedding dress. She appears to be looking for a shoe.
Old Sow: The biggest whirlpool in the western hemisphere — and the world’s second-largest — is formed twice a day when the powerful Down East tides flood through the Western Passage, along the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay near Eastport. Why the name “Old Sow”? The whirlpool makes unmistakable pig-like noises. Old Sow can become as wide as 250 feet and create six-knot currents in surrounding waters. (The largest whirlpool in the world is Maelstrom Whirlpool in Norway.)
Old Town: Derived from the English nickname for the largest Penobscot Nation settlement, Indian Island, which is still the home of the Penobscot. The Abenaki called it Pannawambskek, or “where the ledges spread out.” Best known for the reservation and the Old Town Canoe factory in business for more than a century. Singer Patti Griffin and author Tabitha King (wife of Stephen) were born there.
Ogunquit: A Mi’kmaq term meaning “lagoons within dunes,” Ogunquit is an appropriate name for a town with one of Maine’s rare sandy beaches, a wonderful cliff walk, and many summer tourist attractions.
Orono: An Abenaki name purportedly from Chief Joseph Orono. Home of the flagship campus of the University of Maine, which is often referred to simply as “Orono.”
Passadumkeag: An Abenaki term meaning “rapids over gravel beds.” One that people love to use as an example of funny or interesting Maine place names.
Passamaquoddy Bay: A tribal name meaning “place of abundance of pollack” or “pollack-spearer.” Many members of the Passamaquoddy tribe live in a reservation at Pleasant Point in Perry on its shores. They were known for their ability to spear pollack. The bay has many islands, including Campobello.
Pemaquid: A Mi’kmaq term meaning “extended land,” (peninsula) “Long Point,” or “a point of land running into the sea.” This “long point” is made up of large smooth rock formations. It’s so easy to walk out on them that people often forget the waves can be dangerous.
Penobscot: An Abenaki trival name meaning “place of descending rocks/ledges.” Originally Penobscot was the name of about ten miles of the Penobscot River between Bangor and Old Town. Penobscot is also the name of a county, a town, and the Penobscot Nation of Native Americans who live on Indian Island in Old Town.
Petit Manan Island: French explorer Samuel De Champlain named this island, along with several other landmarks of the Maine coast. He thought the island looked like a smaller version of Grand Manan Island to the north and simply replaced a petit for a grand. Manan is a word from the Mi’kmaq tribe meaning “island out at sea.” Petit Manan is one of only a handful of islands where Atlantic puffins nest in the United States.
Porcupine Islands: These four islands off the coast of Bar Harbor, all roundish-shaped and topped with tall spruce, bear a resemblance to porcupines. Sheep Porcupine Island, like hundreds of Maine islands, was once cleared and used as pasture for sheep. Burnt Porcupine once endured a fire. Bald Porcupine features an enormous bare cliff facing the open ocean. Long Porcupine is just that — long.
Portage: From the French “carry,” usually referring to the carrying of a canoe from one water body to another. The French gave it the name, although the Indians did the original carrying of canoes. Located at the northern end of the Appalachian Mountain range in Aroostook County, the town has fewer than four hundred residents. It’s a popular place for travelers who like outdoor activities and wildlife.
Quoddy Head: A term meaning “pollack.” Quoddy Head State Park is in Lubec on the easternmost point of land in the U.S. West Quoddy Head Light is the easternmost lighthouse in the U.S.Robinhood: A sachem who greeted Europeans and signed many deeds in the Georgetown region. Thus the names for Robinhood Bay and the village of Robinhood in Georgetown.
Rum Key: During the days of prohibition, smugglers often transported alcohol from Canada into the United States via the vast, mostly unpatrolled coastline of Maine. At this small island, according to legend, smugglers would arrive with their cargo — often rum — and wait for a light from atop Cadillac Mountain; the light told them it was safe to enter the port of Bar Harbor.
Saco: An Abenaki term meaning “flowing out” or “outlet,” pronounced SOCK-o by Mainers.
Sebago: Sebago Lake is the deepest and second-largest lake in Maine, surrounded by Sebasticook Lake, a Penobscot-Abenaki term meaning “the passage river,” “the almost-through river,” and “the short route.” The name of the tributary of the Kennebec River in Winslow, a heavily-used route from the Penobscot River to Quebec that rises in the Garland/Sangerville/Dexter area and flows southward to Sebasticook Lake in Newport, then to Winslow.
Sededunkehunk: The name means “rapids at the mouth.” Incorrectly spelled and pronounced Sedgeunkedunk. A stream in Brewer.
Smuttynose Island: Although Smuttynose Island lies six miles off the coast of New Hampshire, among the Isles of Shoals, the state of Maine claims it. The island’s name derives from the piles of seaweed that accumulate on one end of the island, giving the appearance of a large “smutty” nose when looked at from sea level. Smuttynose Island is best known as the site of the murder of two Norwegian women in 1873. One woman was strangled, the other struck with a hatchet. A third woman — Maren — escaped to a nearby island now called Maren’s Rock. Maren identified a German fisherman as the killer; he was eventually hanged for the crimes.
Weskeag: Originally called Wessaweskeag, a term meaning “tidal creek” or “salt creek.” It refers to the Weskeag River in South Thomaston, colloquially called “the Keag,” pronounced Gig.
Yankeetuladi Brook Pond: Blend of English, “Yankee,” and Maliseet “tuladi” or “place where they make canoes.”