Down East Enterprise employees work in a summer “cottage” called Roxmont, located on Route 1 in Rockport, Maine. From the heart of Midcoast Maine we publish Down East Magazine, downeast.com, and the Down East TV Channel, as well as Shooting Sportsman and Fly Rod & Reel and their respective websites. Down East Magazine also has a sales office on Commercial Street, on the waterfront in Portland. For general inquiries about employment opportunities, please send an e-mail to our Human Resources Department.
Many thanks for your interest!
We are currently seeking:
Down East Editorial Assistant
Part Time, 20 hours per week
Down East is looking for a part-time editorial assistant to join our staff at our Rockport headquarters. The perfect candidate is passionate about Maine and magazine publishing and is looking to be an essential part of a fast-paced, high-performing creative team. The job requires exceptional writing, editing, and organizational skills, a high level of enthusiasm and motivation, and the ability to multitask.
• Reading and replying to reader correspondence
• Soliciting, selecting, and editing correspondence for reader-participation sections of the magazine, including Your Maine, Where in Maine?, and letters to the editor
• Selecting events and writing entries for our monthly events Calendar
• Assembling the magazine’s contents page
• Writing occasional short pieces for the magazine’s departments and contributing to group editorial projects as necessary
• Assisting with updates to the website
• Light clerical duties
• Attention to detail and superb organizational skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and familiarity with Adobe InDesign
• Proven writing and research ability
• A deep-seated repugnance for clichés, trite observations, and pat turns of phrase
• Familiarity with the tone and style of Down East
• Passion for and familiarity with Maine’s people, places, and culture
Preferred candidate will have
• Prior publishing experience
• Some copyediting experience
• Ability to read and write very basic HTML
• Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
Travel around the state is occasionally required, as is representing the company at numerous events throughout the year. This position is open to all experience levels, including entry-level candidates.
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and any relevant clips.
Email: [email protected]
P.O. Box 679, Camden, Maine 04843
How to Apply
Email, mail, no phone calls please
About Down East
Down East Enterprise, Inc. is a multimedia company based in Rockport, Maine. The company’s flagship publication, Down East: The Magazine of Maine is the largest paid circulation magazine dedicated to the Pine Tree State. A digital version of Down East was launched in February 2013. For more than six decades, Down East has been the authority on Maine, and today continues to capture readers’ attention with an insider look at contemporary life in Maine. People who love Maine love Down East.